New southbound off ramp location for Peka Peka to Ōtaki Expressway approved
Approval to move the southbound off ramp of the Peka Peak to Ōtaki Expressway from Taylors Road to just north of the Ōtaki Main Road underpass has been granted. The approved designs are available to view below.
Alteration of designation D0109: Peka Peka to Ōtaki Expressway – Taylors Road to County Road
File Ref: RM170116
Approved plans [PDF, 2.6 MB]
The aim of this project is to remove congestion points for through-traffic and thereby improve journey time reliability through the Kāpiti Coast growth area, and to improve safety. This will improve the efficiency of freight and people movements between Wellington and the north and will assist in facilitating economic productivity and growth in the area as well as improving safety.
Why an expressway is needed in Kāpiti
The importance of improvement of the state highway network throughout the Kāpiti district has been identified by a number of studies. The SH1 network faces a number of transportation issues throughout the district. These include:
- traffic characteristics
- population increases
- access, congestion and reliability
- route security
- freight movement
- amenity and social effects, including effects on walking and cycling.
The focus of the state highway network is on moving people and freight between and within the main centres of New Zealand as safely and efficiently as possible. The local network and community objectives and needs are also important in considering the need for the project, given the dual function that SH1 currently provides. The project therefore seeks to achieve an integrated network that also facilitates local trips and modal choice, while recognising that the transformation of current SH1 to a local road is the subject of a separate statutory process.
Cycleway / shared path
A shared path for cyclists and pedestrians is under construction as part of the Peka Peka to Ōtaki section of the Kāpiti Expressway. Learn more about the PP2Ō shared path.
The project has a number of key features:
- an overbridge at Te Horo to link School Road and Gear Road with Te Horo Beach Road.
- an overpass just north of Ōtaki allowing the old SH1 to pass over the expressway and railway
- Ōtaki railway realignment
- a vehicle overbridge at Rahui Road crossing the expressway and the railway line
- a four-lane Ōtaki River bridge to be located east of the Ōtaki River rail bridge
- an overbridge at Taylors Road to improve safety.
The proposed access arrangement to and from the expressway for Ōtaki includes providing south-facing ramps to the south of Ōtaki (at Ōtaki Gorge Road) and north-facing ramps to the north of Ōtaki to provide ease of access in and out of Ōtaki.
How will road users benefit?
The four-lane expressway will deliver a wide range of benefits:
- road safety in the Kāpiti District will be greatly improved due to the separation of local and highway traffic
- the relief of severe congestion points through Ōtaki
- improved access to Wellington's port, CBD, interisland ferry terminals, airport and hospital
- more reliable journey times
- more efficient movement of increasing freight volumes
- economic productivity and growth in the area will be assisted by efficient people and freight movements.
Peka Peka to Ōtaki expressway alignment map