Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency and the Kāpiti Coast District Council are working together to change the status of the main road that runs through Raumati, Paraparaumu and Waikanae, from a state highway to a local road.
The Expressway that opened in February 2017 now functions as State Highway 1 and as a result, the 13.5km section between Poplar Avenue and Peka Peka Link Road will revert from a state highway to a local road.
Legislation requires Waka Kotahi to also transfer responsibility of the 13.5km section between Poplar Avenue and Peka Peka Link Road to the Kāpiti Coast District Council. Before this happens, Waka Kotahi must ensure the corridor is fit for purpose as a local road. This is known as the revocation process.
Before revocation, Waka Kotahi will carry out some works on the 13.5km section between Poplar Avenue and Peka Peka Link Road to:
- strengthen the resilience of the Kāpiti Coast,
- ensure the corridor:
- is more accessible for all transport modes,
- remains a viable alternative route if the Kāpiti Expressway is closed,
- connects communities and key regional areas/facilities where people live, work, and recreate
- creates safer journeys through the local network.