In July 2014, Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency signed a Public Private Partnership (PPP) contract with the Wellington Gateway Partnership. Under the terms of the PPP contract, the Wellington Gateway Partnership will design, construct, finance, operate and maintain the new Transmission Gully motorway for the 25 years that will follow the expected five-year period to build the motorway. It is aimed to have the motorway open for traffic by 2020.
A PPP is a long-term contract between the public and private sectors covering the financing, construction and operation of a public infrastructure and services. Full ownership of the public infrastructure remains with the public sector.
PPPs allow large and complex projects to benefit from private sector innovation and funding which can increase certainty of delivery and drive better value-for-money. There are also savings to be had on all aspects of the project – design, build, maintenance and operational management.
PPPs are typically used for large-scale infrastructure projects where risks can be effectively identified and transferred to the private sector. Waka Kotahi aims to use successful ideas and innovations that come out of the Transmission Gully PPP across other highway projects and the wider transport network.
The project is now well into its design and construction phase.
Transmission Gully interim review
The Te Waihanga NZ Infrastructure Commission report from the Transmission Gully Interim Review was published in April 2021. The review investigated how the Transmission Gully project agreement was awarded for the price agreed, and whether the risks identified then were reasonably allocated and appropriately considered.
In April 2021, Government agencies released briefings and papers regarding the Transmission Gully Covid-19 settlement agreement. These documents have been compiled into one release document, with a summary and questions and answers.
Amended and restated project agreement – 17 December 2020
The Transmission Gully project agreement was updated following the Covid-19 settlement agreement. The amended and restated project agreement, together with the schedules updated as a result of the Covid-19 settlement agreement, have been released.
- Project agreement – amended and restated [PDF, 6 MB]
- Schedule 5 – Property [PDF, 19 MB]
- Schedule 6 – Resource Management Act requirements [PDF, 163 KB]
- Schedule 8 – Review procedures [PDF, 671 KB]
- Schedule 9 – Operative documents [PDF, 7.6 MB]
- Schedule 10 – Completion requirements [PDF, 5.5 MB]
- Schedule 11 – Works requirements [PDF, 19 MB]
- Schedule 12 – Service requirements [PDF, 666 KB]
- Schedule 13 – Performance regime [PDF, 2.1 MB]
- Schedule 14 – Payment mechanism [PDF, 206 KB]
- Schedule 15A – Insurance [PDF, 1.7 MB]
- Schedule 18 – Calculation of compensation on termination [PDF, 403 KB]
- Schedule 22 – Natural events regime [PDF, 368 KB]
- Availability status of project agreement and schedules [PDF, 251 KB]
- Project agreement [PDF, 2.7 MB]
- Schedule 01 – Conditions precedent [PDF, 137 KB]
- Schedule 02 – Contractor warranted data [PDF, 91 KB]
- Schedule 03 – Project and ancilary documents [PDF, 1.7 MB]
- Schedule 04 – Financing [PDF, 126 KB]
- Schedule 05 – Property [PDF, 8.9 MB]
- Schedule 06 – Resource Management Act requirements [PDF, 135 KB]
- Schedule 07 – Governance and service management [PDF, 166 KB]
- Schedule 08 – Review procedures [PDF, 165 KB]
- Schedule 09 – Operative documents [PDF, 1.1 MB]
- Schedule 10 – Completion requirements [PDF, 466 KB]
- Schedule 11 – Works requirements [PDF, 16 MB]
- Schedule 12 – Service requirements [PDF, 614 KB]
- Schedule 13 – Performance regime [PDF, 2.4 MB]
- Schedule 14 – Payment mechanism [PDF, 243 KB]
- Schedule 15A – Insurance [PDF, 789 KB]
- Schedule 15B – (redacted in full)
- Schedule 16 – Change notice [PDF, 276 KB]
- Schedule 17 – Change compensation principles [PDF, 154 KB]
- Schedule 18 – Calculation of compensation on termination [PDF, 286 KB]
- Schedule 19 – Disengagement [PDF, 86 KB]
- Schedule 20 – Communication [PDF, 75 KB]
- Schedule 21 – Reporting [PDF, 204 KB]
- Schedule 22 – Natural events regime [PDF, 256 KB]
- Schedule 23 – Delegations [PDF, 227 KB]
- Schedule 24 – WTOC Arrangements [PDF, 213 KB]
- Schedule 25 – (redacted in full)