About driver licences

Driver licensing application requirements

Identification for driver licensing

When you apply for each stage of your licence, licence class, licence endorsement, or when you renew your licence, you will need to present evidence of your identity.

The reason you need to present identification is so the Transport Agency can prevent people from getting a driver licence fraudulently.

Only certain kinds of identification and evidence of address can be used for driver licensing purposes. These are detailed below.

Evidence of your identity

When making an application, you must present:

  • your New Zealand driver licence, which can be current or expired up to two years, or
  • your current New Zealand passport, or
  • two of the following kinds of identification (one of which must be photographic). These must be one primary document and one supporting document from the tables below.

All documents must be originals. Photocopied or scanned documents are not acceptable.

Primary documents
New Zealand passport*
Overseas passport*
New Zealand emergency travel document
New Zealand refugee travel document
New Zealand certificate of identity (issued under the Passports Act 1992)
New Zealand certificate of identity (issued under the Immigration Act 1987)
New Zealand firearms licence*
New Zealand full birth certificate issued on or after 1 January 1998
New Zealand citizenship certificate

*These documents can be current or expired up to two years. All other documents in this table must be current.

Supporting documents
18+ card or Kiwi Access card
Community services card
SuperGold card
Veteran SuperGold card
New Zealand student photo ID card
New Zealand employee photo ID card
New Zealand electoral roll record
Inland Revenue number
New Zealand-issued utility bill
Overseas driver licence
Steps to freedom form

* These documents can be current or expired up to two years. All other documents must be current.

If neither document contains a photo, you must also provide a passport-style photograph signed by an identity referee. Go to www.nzta.govt.nz/identification for more information.

See Factsheet 20, identification for driver licensing for more information.

Evidence of name change

If the name you want on the back of your photo driver licence is different from the name on the driver licence register, or on either of your two forms of identity, you will need to provide one of the following documents (which must be an original) as proof of your name change. Suitable documents are:

  • a marriage or civil union certificate
  • a dissolution of marriage or civil union order
  • a certificate of annulment
  • a deed poll certificate, change of name certificate or birth certificate showing both names
  • a statutory declaration confirming change of name which has been registered with the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages.

Eyesight requirements

You need to prove that your eyesight meets the required standard each time you apply:

  • for a new licence class or endorsement
  • to renew existing licence classes or endorsements.

To do this, you can:

  • pass an eyesight screening check at a driver licensing agent, or
  • present a satisfactory eyesight or medical certificate (no more than 60 days old).

The certificate must be issued by a New Zealand registered optometrist or health practitioner (for example your doctor (GP), a registered nurse or nurse practitioner, or a specialist if appropriate). If you don’t pass the eyesight check at an agent, you’ll need to provide a certificate instead.

If you have sight in only one eye or have only one eye (monocular vision), you must present an eyesight certificate from an optometrist or
health practitioner.

If you don’t pass the eyesight requirements, or don’t provide an eyesight certificate prior to your test time, you will not be given a temporary licence even if you pass your driving test. You will need to complete the eyesight requirements before your new licence can be issued.

Medical certificates

You need to present a medical certificate if you:

  • are applying for or renewing a P, V, I or O endorsement or licence classes 2-5, and have not provided a medical certificate for those classes or endorsements in the last five years
  • have a medical condition that affects your ability to drive and your medical condition has worsened (or a new condition has been diagnosed) since your last medical certificate was presented
  • are 75 years of age or over and are renewing your licence
  • are renewing your licence for a period beyond your 75th birthday
  • are requested to by the Transport Agency (regardless of when you last presented a medical certificate).

A medical certificate for driver licensing purposes must:

  • be the original
  • be issued by a New Zealand-registered health practitioner (for example your doctor (GP), a registered nurse or nurse practitioner, or a specialist if appropriate).
  • be no more than 60 days old
  • state that you are safe to drive, or set out the conditions under which you can drive.

The cost of a medical certificate will vary between health practitioners. (You are responsible for meeting these costs.)

Ask for an NZ Transport Agency Medical certificate for driver licence (your health practitioner will have copies).

Driver licensing agents

For many driver licensing services, you’ll need to visit a driver licensing agent.

Driver licensing agents include selected branches of:

Or you can look in your phone book for your local branch, look online, or call our contact centre on 0800 822 422.

Find a driver licensing agent in your area

< previous | next >

Last updated: 1 April 2019