About other road users
Information for horse riders
As a horse rider, it's important that you follow the road rules shown below. They will help ensure your safety when you are riding on the road.
Safety rules for horse riders
- Always wear a safety hat while riding. Otherwise, a fall from your horse could result in a head injury.
- Ride your horse on the left-hand side of the road and as far to the left as possible.
- Keep your horse on the side of the road whenever you can, but don't ride on footpaths, lawns or gardens.
- Don't ride more than two abreast.
- Don't ride on the right of any moving vehicle.
- If you're leading another animal while riding, always keep it on your left, away from the traffic.
- If you're riding a horse or leading animals at night, wear reflective clothing and carry a torch.
- At night, vehicles drawn by horses must have a white light on the front right of the vehicle or load and have a red light shining to the rear. They must not have a red light on the front at night.
< previous | next >
Last updated: 2 October 2009