About driver licences

Driver licensing application requirements

Identification for driver licensing

When you apply for each stage of your licence, licence class, licence endorsement, or when you renew your licence, you will need to present evidence of your identity.

The reason you need to present identification is so the NZ Transport Agency can prevent people from getting a driver licence fraudulently.

Only certain kinds of identification can be used for driver licensing purposes. These are detailed below.

Evidence of your identity

When making an application, you must present:

  • your New Zealand driver licence, which can be current or expired up to two years, or
  • your current New Zealand passport, or
  • two of the following kinds of identification (one of which must be photographic). These must be one primary document and one supporting document from the tables below.

All documents must be originals. Photocopied or scanned documents are not acceptable.

Primary documents
New Zealand passport*
Overseas passport*
New Zealand emergency travel document
New Zealand refugee travel document
New Zealand certificate of identity (issued under the Passports Act 1992)
New Zealand certificate of identity (issued under the Immigration Act 1987)
New Zealand firearms licence
New Zealand full birth certificate issued on or after 1 January 1998
New Zealand citizenship certificate

*These documents can be current or expired up to two years. All other documents in this table must be current.

Supporting documents
18+ card
Community services card
SuperGold card
Veteran SuperGold card
New Zealand student photo ID card
New Zealand employee photo ID card
New Zealand electoral roll record
Inland Revenue number
New Zealand-issued utility bill or bank statement*
Overseas driver licence
Steps to freedom form

* These documents must be issued within the last six months. They must show your first name (or initials) and last name, and the issuer (utility company or bank). They don't need to show any transaction details. All other documents in this table must be current.

If neither document contains a photo, you must also provide a passportstyle photograph signed by an identity referee.

SeeĀ Factsheet 20, identification for driver licensing for more information.

See Factsheet 20, identification for driver licensing for more information.

Evidence of name change

If the name you want on the back of your photo driver licence is different from the name on the driver licence register, or on either of your two forms of identity, you will need to provide one of the following documents (which must be an original) as proof of your name change. Suitable documents are:

  • your marriage or civil union certificate
  • a dissolution of marriage or civil union order
  • a certificate of annulment
  • a deed poll certificate, change of name certificate or birth certificate showing both names
  • a statutory declaration confirming change of name which has been registered with the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages.

Eyesight requirements

You need to prove that your eyesight meets the required standard each time you apply:

  • for a new licence class or endorsement
  • to renew existing licence classes or endorsements.

To do this, you can:

  • present a satisfactory eyesight certificate issued by a New Zealand-registered optometrist (this certificate must be no more than 60 days old)
  • present a satisfactory medical certificate issued by a New Zealand-registered medical practitioner (this certificate must be no more than 60 days old and must specifically cover eyesight)
  • pass an eyesight screening check at a driver licensing agent.

Note: eyesight screening machines at driver licensing agents eliminate the need for many drivers to be tested by an optometrist or medical practitioner. However, if you don't pass this screening check, then you must provide one of the above certificates before your application can proceed. This means you will not be able to sit any practical tests until you have returned to the agent with your certificate before your licence can be issued. Some drivers choose to provide a certificate instead of undertaking a screening check. If you have sight in only one eye, or have only one eye (monocular vision), you must present an eyesight certificate from a doctor or optometrist.

Medical declaration

To ensure all drivers on our roads are medically fit to drive, the driver licence application form contains a medical declaration.

Every applicant has to complete this declaration.

The declaration asks you to declare these types of medical condition:

  • diabetes
  • locomotive joint or limb problems
  • strokes
  • nervous or mental disorders
  • high blood pressure
  • seizures, fits, convulsions, epilepsy
  • serious injuries (for example, head or spinal injuries)
  • visual disturbances (for example, cataracts, double vision, glaucoma)
  • cerebral vascular accidents or disease
  • cognitive impairment
  • any other condition that may affect your ability to drive safely.

Organ donation

When you fill out your driver licence application form, you'll be asked the following question: 'Would you be willing to donate organs in the event of your death?'

The Transport Agency can't produce a driver licence card for you until you have ticked either 'Yes' or 'No'.

By ticking the 'Yes' box and signing the form, you are indicating your wish to be identified as an organ and tissue donor and have the word 'DONOR' printed on your driver licence. It's also included on your record on the driver licence database.

In the event of your death, your family may be asked for their agreement before organs or tissue are removed for donation. That's why it is very important to discuss your decision with your family.

It's a good idea to think about organ donation before you go to the driver licensing agent.

If you would like more information about organ and tissue donation, contact Organ Donation New Zealand on 0800 4 DONOR (0800 436 667) or visit their website at www.donor.co.nz.

Medical certificates

You need to present a medical certificate if you:

  • are applying for or renewing a P, V, I or O endorsement or licence classes 2-5, and have not provided a medical certificate for those classes or endorsements in the last five years
  • have a medical condition that affects your ability to drive and your medical condition has worsened (or a new condition has been diagnosed) since your last medical certificate was presented
  • are renewing your licence licence for a period beyond your 75th birthday
  • are 75 years of age or over and applying for another class of driver licence
  • are requested to by the Transport Agency (regardless of when you last presented a medical certificate).

A medical certificate for driver licensing purposes must:

  • be the original
  • be issued by a New Zealand-registered medical practitioner
  • be no more than 60 days old
  • state that you are safe to drive, or set out the conditions under which you can drive.

The cost of a medical certificate will vary from doctor to doctor. (You are responsible for meeting these costs.)

Ask for a Transport Agency Medical certificate for driver licence (your doctor will have copies).

< previous | next >

Last updated: 26 January 2016