About driver licences

Driver licensing application requirements

Identification for driver licensing

When you apply for each stage of your licence, licence class, licence endorsement, or when you renew your licence, you will need to present evidence of your identity and evidence of your address.

The reason you need to present identification is so the Transport Agency can prevent people from getting a driver licence fraudulently.

Only certain kinds of identification and evidence of address can be used for driver licensing purposes. These are detailed below.

Please note: These identification requirements are subject to change. For the latest requirements refer to factsheet 20. This is available from driver licensing agents and online.

Evidence of your identity

You’ll need to present original evidence of your identity when applying for your licence. If you have one of the following, you may only have to provide a single document:

  • your New Zealand photographic licence (which can be current or expired up to two years) or
  • your current New Zealand passport.

If you do not have either of these documents you will need to provide two other acceptable forms of evidence of identity such as:

  • your New Zealand birth certificate and a student ID card or 18+ card; or
  • your New Zealand birth certificate and a utility bill (eg power account, rates bill) or bank statement.¬† If neither of the documents you provide has a photo you will also need to provide a verified image¬† (For further information and a full list of acceptable identity documents See Factsheet 20, identification for driver licensing.

Confirmation of name change

If you want to change the name on your photo driver licence (or if the name on your identity documents does not match the name currently on your photo driver licence, you must provide documentation confirming your change of name. This must be an original (not a copy) of one of the following:

  • your marriage or civil union certificate
  • your dissolution of marriage (or civil union) order
  • a certificate of annulment
  • a deed poll certificate, change of name certificate, or a birth certificate showing both names
  • a statutory declaration confirming change of name which has been registered with the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages.

Driver licensing agents

For many driver licensing services you will need to visit an Transport Agency driver licensing agent.

Driver licensing agents include selected branches of:

Or you can look in your phone book for your local branch or phone the Transport Agency's contact centre on 0800 822 422.

Eyesight requirements

You need to prove that your eyesight meets the required standard each time you apply:

  • for a new licence class or endorsement
  • to renew existing licence classes or endorsements.

To do this, you can:

  • present a satisfactory eyesight certificate issued by a New Zealand-registered optometrist (this certificate must be no more than 60 days old)
  • present a satisfactory medical certificate issued by a New Zealand-registered medical practitioner (this certificate must be no more than 60 days old and must specifically cover eyesight)
  • pass an eyesight screening check at a driver licensing agent.

Note: eyesight screening machines at driver licensing agents eliminate the need for many drivers to be tested by an optometrist or medical practitioner. However, if you don't pass this screening check, then you must provide one of the above certificates before your licence can be issued. Some drivers choose to provide a certificate instead of undertaking a screening check. If you have sight in only one eye, or have only one eye (monocular vision) you must present an eyesight certificate from a doctor or optometrist.

Medical certificates

You need to present a medical certificate if you:

  • are applying for or renewing a P, V, I or O endorsement or licence classes 2-5, and have not provided a medical certificate for those classes or endorsements in the last five years
  • have a medical condition that affects your ability to drive and your medical condition has worsened (or a new condition has been diagnosed) since your last medical certificate was presented
  • are 75 years of age or over and are renewing your licence
  • are requested to by the Transport Agency (regardless of when you last presented a medical certificate).

A medical certificate for driver licensing purposes must:

  • be the original
  • be issued by a New Zealand-registered medical practitioner
  • be no more than 60 days old
  • state that you are safe to drive, or set out the conditions under which you can drive.

The cost of a medical certificate will vary from doctor to doctor. (You are responsible for meeting these costs.)

Ask for an Transport Agency Medical certificate for driver licence (your doctor will have copies).

< previous | next >

Last updated: 25 November 2014