Driver licensing application requirements

Identification for driver licensing

When you apply for each stage of your licence, you'll need to show acceptable evidence of your identity.

Evidence of your identity

You must present:

  • your current New Zealand passport, or
  • your New Zealand driver licence, which can be current or expired up to 2 years, or
  • 2 of the following kinds of identification. There must be one primary document and one supporting document. All documents must be originals and not photocopied or scanned.

Primary documents

New Zealand passport*
Overseas passport*
New Zealand emergency travel document
New Zealand refugee travel document
New Zealand certificate of identity (issued under the Passports Act 1992)
New Zealand certificate of identity (issued under the Immigration Act 1987)
New Zealand firearms licence*
New Zealand full birth certificate issued on or after 1 January 1998
New Zealand citizenship certificate

* These documents can be current or expired up to 2 years. All other documents must be current.

Supporting documents

18+ card or Kiwi Access card
Community services card
SuperGold card
Veteran SuperGold card
New Zealand student photo ID card
New Zealand employee photo ID card
New Zealand electoral roll record
Inland Revenue number
New Zealand-issued utility bill
Overseas driver licence
Steps to freedom form

If neither document contains a photo, you must also provide a passport-style photograph signed by an identity referee.

Identification - more information about evidence of identity.

Evidence of name change

If your name has changed from the name on your driver licence or on either of your 2 forms of identification, you’ll need to provide one of the following documents as proof of your name change. They must be original and issued in New Zealand.

  • A marriage or civil union certificate.
  • Copy of particulars of marriage or civil union.
  • A dissolution of marriage or civil union order.
  • A certificate of annulment.
  • A deed poll certificate, change of name certificate or birth certificate showing both names.
  • A statutory declaration confirming change of name which has been registered with the Registrar of Births, Deaths and Marriages.

Eyesight requirements

You need to prove that your eyesight is up to standard when you apply for each stage.

To do this, you can:

  • pass an eyesight screening check at a driver licensing agent, or
  • present an original eyesight or medical certificate no more than 60 days old.

The certificate must be issued by a New Zealand registered optometrist or health practitioner. This could be your doctor (GP), a registered nurse or nurse practitioner, or a specialist. If you don’t pass the eyesight check at an agent, you’ll need to provide a certificate instead.

Sight in only one eye can affect your ability to judge distance. If you can only see out of one eye, or only have one eye, you must present an acceptable certificate.

If you don’t pass the eyesight requirements, or don’t provide an eyesight certificate before your test, you won’t be given a temporary licence – even if you pass your driving test. You’ll need to complete the eyesight requirements before your new licence can be issued.

Medical declaration

You must be medically fit to drive.

These conditions may affect your driving:

  • diabetes
  • locomotive joint or limb problems
  • strokes
  • nervous or mental disorders
  • high blood pressure
  • seizures, fits, convulsions, epilepsy
  • serious injuries – for example, head or spinal injuries
  • visual disturbances – for example, cataracts, double vision, glaucoma
  • cerebral vascular accidents or disease
  • cognitive impairment
  • any other condition that may affect your ability to drive safely.

If you don’t have any of these, you can sign a declaration stating this.

If you do have one of these conditions, you may need a medical certificate.

What you need to know about medical certificates

A medical certificate for driver licensing purposes must:

  • be the original
  • be issued by a New Zealand-registered health practitioner – for example your doctor (GP), a registered nurse or nurse practitioner, or a specialist
  • be no more than 60 days old
  • state that you’re fit to drive, or set out the conditions under which you can drive.

The cost of a medical certificate will vary. You’re responsible for meeting these costs.

Ask for a Medical certificate for driver licence – your health practitioner will have copies.

Organ donation

When you fill out your driver licence application form, you’ll be asked the following question:

Would you be willing to donate organs in the event of your death?

If you tick the Yes box, you’re showing you wish to be an organ and tissue donor, and will have the word Donor printed on your driver licence. It’s also put on your record in the driver licence database.

Your family will be asked for their agreement before organs or tissue are removed for donation, so it’s very important to discuss your decision with your family. It’s a good idea to think about organ donation before you go to the driver licensing agent.

Visit (external link)or contact Organ Donation New Zealand on 0800 4 DONOR (0800 436 667) for more information.