Please be polite when sharing the road with horse traffic. Horses can take fright easily, so adjust your riding as soon as you see horses on the road ahead of you.
Safe riding near horses
- Slow down and pass carefully, giving the horse and rider plenty of room.
- Don’t sound your horn, rev your engine or pass at speed, as this could frighten the horse.
- If the horse and rider are on a bridge or narrow road, be very careful – slow down or stop.
- If the horse appears frightened, stop.
- At night, dip your headlight when approaching a horse.
- Avoid passing another vehicle near a horse.
Be careful around horse traffic. If you’re not, you could be charged with careless or dangerous driving.