The State highway annual plan instructions manual (SM018) gives guidance to regional offices, contractors and consultants around what is expected in their annual plan submission for the financial year in question and the dates for which various submissions are due.
The manual outlines how forward works programs for pavement renewals and maintenance should be put together, as well as all other work categories within highway maintenance and operations. The Capital Instructions gives guidance and dates for applying for capital projects including Minor Improvements and Resilience projects.
Guidance around NPV analysis, drainage works, and treatment prioritisation are provided as well as a review of the previous year’s RAPT (review and prioritisation team) findings.
The State highway maintenance contract proforma manual (SM032) is a manual for use by the NZ Transport Agency when preparing state highway tender documents for maintenance contracts. It contains the Transport Agency's Highways and Network Operations physical works maintenance tender documents for the Network Outcomes Contract.
- SM018 Annual plan instructions (maintenance and operations) 2021–24 – annual plan instructions [PDF, 189 KB]
- SM018 Annual plan instructions (maintenance and operations) 2021–24 – key principles [PDF, 453 KB]
- SM018 Three-year plan instructions manual (maintenance and operations) 2021–24 [PDF, 4.6 MB]
- SM018 Three-year plan instructions manual 2021–24 Addendum A: 4.2 Bridges and other significant highway structures [PDF, 2.5 MB]
- SM018 Three-year plan instructions manual 2021–24 Addendum B: Moderation process [PDF, 189 KB]
- SM018 Three-year plan instructions manual 2021–24 Addendum C: 3-year plan ranking example [XLSM, 953 KB]
- SM018 Three-year plan instructions manual 2021–24 Addendum D: Renewals opportunities and guidance [PDF, 131 KB]
- SM018 Three-year plan instructions manual 2021-24 Addendum E: Revised allocations and guidance [PDF, 150 KB]
- SM018 Three-year plan instructions manual 2021-24 Addendum F: 22-23 Annual Planning [PDF, 142 KB]
- SM018 Three-year plan instructions manual 2021-24 Addendum F: 22-23 Annual Planning - update 2 [PDF, 589 KB]
- Annual plan benchmarking spreadsheet (all networks – FY16/17) [XLSX, 462 KB]
- Sample work categories for network statement submission [PDF, 1.8 MB]
- Net present value (NPV) instructions [PDF, 1.3 MB]
- NPV template [XLSM, 237 KB]
- NPV template example [XLSM, 262 KB]
- Network statement template 2020/21 [DOCX, 97 KB]
- Network statement template 2019/20 [DOCX, 81 KB]
- Network statement template 2018/19 [DOCX, 61 KB]
- Prioritisation process – 2016/17 [PDF, 342 KB]
- Achievements tracker process guidelines - annual plan 2021/22 [PDF, 775 KB]
- Change management record - annual plan 2022/23 [XLSX, 1.4 MB]
- Working with funding adjustments in InfoHub [PDF, 173 KB]
- Deferral monitoring form [DOCX, 127 KB]
- National pavement condition reports
- Monetised benefits and costs manual (formerly Economic evaluation manual)
- State highway maintenance contract proforma manual (SM032)
- State highway plan 2016/17 (draft)
Low cost / low risk
For further information contact SM018@nzta.govt.nz.