This page has been developed to list key sources of information for researchers including: research, New Zealand Standards, web site links, presentation and training.
Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency guidance, specifications and templates relating to noise and vibration can be found here:
Noise and vibration standards, guidelines and specifications
Waka Kotahi developed a series of eLearning modules in 2013, which introduces the key concepts of air quality and transport related assessment processes.
The road traffic noise management eLearning module is available:
Note: Please ensure that popups are not blocked to load the eLearning module.
Road-traffic is a widespread source of environmental noise in New Zealand and can adversely affect community health and well being. Waka Kotahi is committed to addressing the adverse effects of road-traffic noise on people.
This lists transport noise and vibration research conducted under our sector research programme.
Full details of the research programme and a list of all research topics can be found here:
- Ventilation specifications for acoustic treatment – June 2020 [PDF, 1.3 MB]
- Road-traffic noise calculation methods - June 2020 [PDF, 298 KB]
- National Land Transport (Road) Noise Map - 2019 [PDF, 2.6 MB]
- Intersection noise measurements - 2014 [PDF, 10 MB]
- Noise measurement data
- Low-noise road surface performance monitoring - 2014 [PDF, 1.6 MB]
- Building acoustic mitigation case study - 2013 [PDF, 4.2 MB]
- Ventilation systems installed for road-traffic noise mitigation - 2014 [PDF, 1.6 MB]
- Measurement of the Acoustic Performance of Traffic Noise Barriers on Auckland Motorways Using prEN1793-6 - 2012 [PDF, 4.5 MB]
- State highway bridge expansion joint noise - 2013 [PDF, 3.8 MB]
- Quantification of Noise and Vibration Effects Arising from Higher Mass Limits for Heavy Vehicles - 2008 [PDF, 3.4 MB]
- Drive-by vehicle noise - 2000 [PDF, 1 MB]
- Road surface noise research
1 This report was produced for the Building Industry Authority (BIA) in 2000. The BIA has been replaced by the Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment (MBIE). This report is reproduced with the permission of MBIE. Please note that the report contains the findings of Bel Acoustic Consulting and MBIE does not endorse the content of the report. In addition, there have been changes to the Building Act, the Building Code and its supporting documents since publication of the report that may (or may not) have an impact on the report’s findings.
Presentations and papers
- Presentation slides from workshops held Aug-Sept 2010 to explain the practical applications of the new standard NZS 6806 - 01/08/2010
- Presentation on road surface noise to Roading NZ - 18/09/2012 [PDF, 2.3 MB]
Internoise 2012 paper - Australian / New Zealand Governments’ response to truck compression brake noise - James McIntosh and Rob Hannaby - 19/08/2012 [PDF, 85 KB]
- Presentation on road noise and vibration to the Acoustical Society of New Zealand - 27/03/2014 [PDF, 4.5 MB]
- RMLA 2014 - Raising the bar in the management of state highway noise - 26/09/2014 [JPG, 1.2 MB]
Internoise 2014 paper - Selection of state highway bridge expansion joints in noise sensitive areas - Stephen Chiles - 01/12/2014 [PDF, 544 KB]
State highway noise mapping - Auckland motorways case study - [PDF, 519 KB]
Rob Hannaby, Stephen Chiles, Chris Worts, James Whitlock, Andy Haigh - 10/02/2015 [PDF, 519 KB]
- Presentations on road surface noise research at PIARC International seminar October 2021
For further information contact email@example.com.