SCAM ALERTS: Refund email and Vehicle licence (rego) renewal phishing emails

ONLINE SERVICES: We currently have an issue with receiving some payments and are working to resolve this issue as quickly as possible. We apologise for any inconvenience.

EASTER WEEKEND – PLAN AHEAD: Heading away for the long weekend? Check our holiday journeys tool(external link)

COVID-19 SERVICES UPDATE: Information on Waka Kotahi services

Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency aims to create easy, safe and connected journeys across New Zealand’s land transport system. This requires us to manage the effects that subdivision, land use development and state highway access requests have on the safety and efficiency of the state highway network.

If you are considering a development which may affect the state highway network and/or require access direct to the state highway, we encourage you to contact us early to discuss your proposal. 

Some examples of types of development you should discuss with us include:

  • Creating, upgrading, moving or otherwise changing an accessway onto a state highway
  • Changes to intensification of existing land use activities on properties accessed from the state highway (ie from residential to commercial)
  • Subdivisions or new businesses requiring access to the highway 
  • Subdivisions or new businesses not requiring access to the highway but generating potential downstream traffic impacts on the state highway network

We will identify whether or not your proposal can be supported as is, or whether changes are necessary to address effects on the transport network.  Occasionally the effects may be such that we cannot support your proposal and this will be discussed with you.

Resource consents and other approvals

If your proposal requires resource consent we recommend discussing your proposal with us prior to submitting your application for lodgement to avoid delays. It is likely that Council will require you to obtain our ‘affected party’ approval under the Resource Management Act (RMA) if your activity affects the state highway. 

If your property is on a ‘limited-access road’, vehicles and stock can only access the road from an 'authorised crossing place'. These are issued under the Government Roading Powers Act 1989 (GRPA) by Waka Kotahi.

Government Roading Powers Act 1989(external link)

Limited-access roads and crossing places

It is not uncommon for proposals to require both our affected party approval under the RMA and a new or revised crossing place notice under the GRPA. 

How to seek our input and approval on your proposal

Complete the online application form

Once we receive your application you will receive an acknowledgement confirming receipt of your application. We aim to process your application in a timely manner; typically within 20 working days.  Applications can take longer to process if they are complex or we require further information.  Our assessment of your proposal will be free of charge.

To assist us assess your application, please include the following information (this is included on the form):

  • Site address and legal description
  • A description of the proposal
  • Plans illustrating your proposal
  • How will parking and manoeuvring be managed
  • How the site is currently accessed and any changes to access to accommodate the proposed activity
  • Whether access is available from a local road
  • The opening hours, number of staff and customers and deliveries to the site daily associated with your proposal
  • Current daily traffic generation (volume and type/s) accessing the site
  • Proposed daily traffic generation (volume and type/s) from the new activity
  • The location of any signage and/or lighting
  • Whether the proposal requires resource consent
  • Any other legal matters (such as any restrictions on the certificate of title) that we need to be aware of.

The Consents and Approvals team will be happy to discuss your proposal with you at any stage of the process - email:  

Related links

Information check list for developments near the state highway [PDF, 222 KB]

Planning policy manual - covers Waka Kotahi planning requirements

Government Roading Powers Act 1989(external link)

Limited-access roads

Signs alongside a state highway

Contact us

Contact the team at: if you need any further assistance.