Proving your identity
When you register a vehicle in your name you'll need to provide evidence of your identity. Your proof of ID must be the original. We don't accept photocopies or faxes, even if they are 'certified copies'.
Acceptable ID for an individual
Documents that confirm your date of birth, full name and signature, such as:
- a New Zealand photo driver licence (note: this is the only form of ID acceptable for the online transaction)
- full birth certificate and Eftpos or credit card (for the signature)
- a valid New Zealand temporary driver licence (21 days from date of issue). Note: Some temporary driver licences are not valid forms of ID. Your licence card will note this
- overseas driver licence
- New Zealand passport
- overseas passport.
Renew vehicle licence online
Acceptable ID for a company or organisation
- Your NZ Transport Agency customer number. Don't have one? Contact us for more information.
- Your certificate of incorporation. You can get a copy from the New Zealand Companies Office. In this case the copy is acceptable proof.
- Your NZ Business Number (NZBN). Don’t have one? Contact us for more information.
New Zealand Companies Office website(external link)