4: Entry certification

Entry certification is carried out by certifiers that are appointed by Waka Kotahi. This process will include:

  • Certifying that the vehicle meets the relevant safety and emissions standards when manufactured.
  • Establish proof of vehicle ownership.
  • Thorough inspection of the vehicle to check it is in good condition or if needs any repairs and/or specialist certification.
  • issue an application to register a motor vehicle form (MR2A) and a warrant or certificate of fitness.
  • Issuing a new VIN number in the event that the vehicle does not have a compliant VIN or the existing VIN cannot be decoded.

Vehicle identification number (VIN) - more information

The following types of used vehicles require entry certification if they're to be used on the road in New Zealand:


Vehicle type


Light vehicles (GVM not exceeding 3500kg


LA and LB


LC, LD and LE


Passenger vehicles with 9 or less seats including forward control and offroad


MA, MB and MC


Light goods vehicle




Light buses with more than 9 seats


MD1, MD2

Heavy Vehicles (GVM exceeding 3500kg)

Heavy Buses


MD3, MD4 and ME


Heavy trucks


NB and NC


Heavy trailers


TC and TD

We recommend you contact an entry certifier at the time you're considering importing a specific vehicle, as they'll be able to provide advice. If the vehicle is a heavy vehicle, a specialist vehicle, a left-hand drive or a modified vehicle, you may need to find a certifier that specialises in these vehicle types.

Entry certification takes place once the vehicle has received the border inspection (offshore or onshore), Customs and biosecurity clearance has been given and the vehicle has been released to the importer. 

Dealers and repairers who have the right to use a trade plate may drive an uncertified vehicle on a conditional permit before taking it to an entry certifier. Private importers will need to have the vehicle transported to an entry certifier by other means (eg on a trailer, transported or towed).

Find an entry certifier