CONTACT CENTRE WAIT TIMES: Our Contact Centre is currently experiencing significant wait times. View frequently asked questions

SCAM ALERTS: Report a phishing scam or learn about the latest phishing emails

ROAD USER CHARGES (RUC) DISCOUNT: Find out more about the temporary RUC reduction scheme

ONLINE SERVICES: We are currently experiencing issues with all our online services at the moment. We are working to resolve the services as soon as possible. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

COVID-19 SERVICES UPDATE: Information on Waka Kotahi services, extensions and more

ONLINE SERVICES: We currently have an issue with receiving some payments and are working to resolve this issue as quickly as possible. We apologise for any inconvenience.

EASTER WEEKEND – PLAN AHEAD: Heading away for the long weekend? Check our holiday journeys tool(external link)

SCAM ALERTS: Refund email and Vehicle licence (rego) renewal phishing emails

Scratchbuilt or modified vehicles

If you are building from scratch or heavily modifying a vehicle, it will still need to meet appropriate vehicle standards and be entry certified. 

Light vehicles

You need to obtain special certification as evidence that your vehicle complies with the Low-volume Vehicle Code, which includes emissions standards. A low-volume vehicle (LVV) certifier will inspect your vehicle and fit your vehicle with LVV plates as evidence that your engine or exhaust system complies. Find out more about the LVV certification process.

Need to find an LVV certifier, or find out more about LVV standards? Go to the Low Volume Vehicle Technical Association website(external link).

Heavy vehicles

Heavy vehicle certifying engineers must oversee the modifications to heavy vehicles. Find out more about the heavy vehicle certification process.

Next step

You can move onto step three of the importing process – preparing to import.