TRAFFIC UPDATES: Roads across the north island have been impacted by recent weather events. We’ll provide updates on our Journey Planner website as information becomes available. View our traffic map for road closures and delays(external link)

SCAM ALERTS: Report a phishing scam or learn about the latest phishing emails

CONTACT CENTRE WAIT TIMES: Our Contact Centre is currently experiencing significant wait times. View frequently asked questions

ONLINE TRANSACTIONS: We are experiencing issues with credit and debit card transactions on our website. We are working with the payment provider to resolve this as soon as we can. 

CONTACT CENTRE WAIT TIMES: Our Contact Centre is currently experiencing significant wait times. View frequently asked questions

REGO AND RUC LABEL ERROR: There was a postage error with labels purchased on the 15 August 2022. Find out more

ROAD USER CHARGES (RUC) DISCOUNT: Find out more about the temporary RUC reduction scheme

ONLINE SERVICES: We are currently experiencing issues with all our online services at the moment. We are working to resolve the services as soon as possible. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

COVID-19 SERVICES UPDATE: Information on Waka Kotahi services, extensions and more

ONLINE SERVICES: We currently have an issue with receiving some payments and are working to resolve this issue as quickly as possible. We apologise for any inconvenience.

EASTER WEEKEND – PLAN AHEAD: Heading away for the long weekend? Check our holiday journeys tool(external link)

SCAM ALERTS: Refund email and Vehicle licence (rego) renewal phishing emails

CONTACT CENTRE PHONE LINES: Our Contact Centre phone lines are currently unavailable. View frequently asked questions

You don't need to register vehicles used only on a private road. (A private road means a road or place formed on private land by the owner of that land.)

With the exception of the above, using an unregistered vehicle on a road is an offence. However if you are fined for using an unregistered vehicle you will have a defence if your vehicle is:

  • an official vehicle of a visiting military force

  • a vehicle being operated on a road that is closed to ordinary vehicular traffic

  • a motor vehicle that is being temporarily towed without use of its own power

  • a trailer attached to a tractor, traction engine, forklift, a self-propelled machine that's designed for specialist industrial purposes

  • a trailer attached to a self-propelled machine that is designed for agricultural purposes

  • a trailer designed exclusively for agricultural operations and used on a road only when proceeding to or from a farm or when being inspected, serviced or repaired

  • a trailer attached to an exempted vehicle as defined in the Land Transport Management (Apportionment and Refund of Excise Duty and Excise–Equivalent Duty) Regulations 2004

  • an overseas visitors vehicle. An overseas visitor’s vehicle is one that's registered overseas and will be in New Zealand for less than 18 months. For more information about overseas visitors vehicles, see Importing a vehicle temporarily.

Factsheet 27: Exempt vehicles from registration and licensing [PDF, 58 KB]