CONTACT CENTRE WAIT TIMES: Our Contact Centre is currently experiencing significant wait times. View frequently asked questions

SCAM ALERTS: Report a phishing scam or learn about the latest phishing emails

ROAD USER CHARGES (RUC) DISCOUNT: Find out more about the temporary RUC reduction scheme

ONLINE SERVICES: We are currently experiencing issues with all our online services at the moment. We are working to resolve the services as soon as possible. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

COVID-19 SERVICES UPDATE: Information on Waka Kotahi services, extensions and more

ONLINE SERVICES: We currently have an issue with receiving some payments and are working to resolve this issue as quickly as possible. We apologise for any inconvenience.

EASTER WEEKEND – PLAN AHEAD: Heading away for the long weekend? Check our holiday journeys tool(external link)

SCAM ALERTS: Refund email and Vehicle licence (rego) renewal phishing emails

CONTACT CENTRE WAIT TIMES: Our Contact Centre is currently experiencing significant wait times. View frequently asked questions

CONTACT CENTRE PHONE LINES: Our Contact Centre phone lines are currently unavailable. View frequently asked questions

All vehicles entering New Zealand must be checked, certified, registered and licensed before you can use them on the road. This process is called entry certification.

What’s involved

Only approved testing stations can carry out entry certification inspections. 

 The process involves an entry certifier:

  • verifying that the vehicle met the required safety emissions and frontal impact standards when manufactured

  • carrying out a vehicle inspection to verify it is still in good condition

  • deciding whether the vehicle needs any repairs and/or specialist certification to meet legal safety requirements

  • verifying that fuel consumption, CO2, gross vehicle mass, and unladen weight information has been provided for the vehicle

  • verifying who legally owns the vehicle

  • verifying the vehicle's identity and that it has a valid VIN assigned and affixed.

Where the vehicle meets requirements, the certifier issues:

  • a registration application form (form MR2A), which verifies that it has passed these checks and is safe for you to drive, and

  • a warrant of fitness or certificate of fitness, depending on the vehicle’s size.

Find an approved testing station

Contact the organisations below to locate an approved testing station.

Organisation Phone Email
Automobile Association(external link) (AA) 0800 500 333, option 2 (for vehicle import advice)
Canterbury Vehicle Compliance(external link) (03) 308 2275
(027) 472 5233 (mobile)
Drivesure Vehicle Testing Ltd(external link) 0800 220 240
i4 Checkpoint Ltd(external link) (03) 539 1223
Independent Training Audit Services(external link) (ITAS) 0800 367 4827
(027) 494 6051 (mobile)
Vehicle Inspection New Zealand(external link) (VINZ) 0800 GO VINZ
Vehicle Testing New Zealand(external link) (VTNZ) 0800 88 88 69

Importing a used light vehicle?

Find out more about importing vehicles