Changes already implemented
- Increasing the minimum age for obtaining a class 6 (motorcycle) learner licence from 15 to 16 years of age. (See The graduated driver licensing system has changed.)
- Changes to the motorcycle licence practical tests. (See Changes to the driver licence tests.)
- The learner approved motorcycle scheme (LAMS): Introducing a power-to-weight restriction for learner and restricted motorcyclists. (See Approved motorcycles for learner and restricted riders.)
- Changes to minimum licence time requirements: Requiring all novice motorcyclists to be subject to the same minimum time requirements at the restricted licence stage. (See Changes to minimum licence time requirements.)
- Changes to strengthen the basic handling skills test (BHST) and improve the safety of motorcyclists.
(See Motorcycle basic handling skills test.)
From late 2013
Competency based training and assessment course
- Introducing a competency-based training and assessment option for novice motorcyclists. (See Competency based training and assessment course).