NZ Transport Agency Area Manager Peter Robinson says there was a long enough break in the weather this morning, to helicopter experts in to make a Geotechnical assessment of the fractured rock site. As a result of this assessment, we are satisfied the site is stable enough to reopen the road from 7am tomorrow, Friday 16 November.
Full traffic control will be in place between Avalanche Creek to the Chapel. Road users are asked to follow the directions of our contractors and stick to the no stopping requirement at the western side of the tunnel - this will be strictly enforced.
However, for the next few weeks the section of road between Hollyford turnoff and Milford will be closed every night from 6pm to 7am for safety reasons. The rocks above the tunnel will continue to be monitored. Because this cannot be done effectively during the hours of darkness it was decided to close the road overnight Mr Robinson said.
If heavy rain is forecast the Hollyford to Milford section of the highway will be closed to ensure the safety of travellers.
Peter Robinson say in the next few days we hope to firm up plans to safely remove loose rock from area above the western tunnel entrance. Tour operators will get twice daily updates on road conditions to help them plan their Milford operations over the next few weeks.
The latest information on the Milford Road is available at www.highwayinfo.govt.nz
For more information please contact:
Regional Communications Advisor
T: 03 951 3005
M: 021 954 928