Skip to: Navigation | Content | Footer

Trucks and other heavy vehicles

You need a heavy vehicle licence to drive heavy vehicles such as trucks, trailers, buses and heavy forklifts. In New Zealand we have four licence classes for heavy vehicles – and you must have the right licence for the type and weight of vehicle you want to drive. In some cases you’ll also need special endorsements.


New practical driver testing provider

On 1 May 2015 VTNZ took over as the Transport Agency's provider for all practical driver testing services.  For more information on the change click here.

Our Beta Site Close This

Trucks and other heavy vehicle licences

The different heavy vehicles you can drive, the licence classes you’ll need to drive them and the steps to getting your full licence.

Accelerated heavy licence class courses

The courses you can take to move through to the next licence class without having to wait the minimum time period.

Accelerate your process

Carrying passengers?

Be a safer driver