Application to change RUC vehicle type (RUCCV)

Use this application form if you are applying to change your RUC vehicle type.

There is a fee of $14.63 (incl GST) for this application. This fee is non-refundable, regardless of whether your application is approved or declined.

What vehicle type do you want to change to?

Vehicle types
My previous RUC vehicle type was

A combination vehicle is a truck (with 3 or 4 axles) towing 2 trailers in a vehicle combination with a total of 8 or more axles. This application is for the truck in this combination.  

Note: These vehicles may only operate in the specified combinations. Failure to comply may result in an infringement notice and/or an assessment of unpaid road user charges (RUC).

Change to Combination vehicle types

A B-train combination is a truck towing two semi-trailers. This application is for the leading trailer of this combination.

Change to B-Train Combination vehicle types

A vintage powered vehicle is a motor vehicle that is at least 40 years old on the date that it is registered, reregistered or licensed, and is not used for commercial purposes.

Note: a vintage powered vehicle with 2 axles and a RUC weight of 12 tonnes or less remains a RUC vehicle type 1 or 2.

Change to Vintage vehicle types

A motor caravan is a motor vehicle that has more than one-half of the vehicle floor area permanently fitted out for accommodation by the inclusion of sleeping and cooking facilities, and is registered as a motor caravan on the Motor Vehicle Register. This does not include combination vehicles. 

Change to a motor caravan

Registered person details

Vehicle details

Applicant details

Payment details

The fee for this application is $14.63 (incl GST). This fee is non-refundable, regardless of whether your application is approved or declined. The fee contributes to the cost of processing your application. We will not process your application until the payment has been made.

How would you like to pay the application fee?

Please provide a contact phone number for us to call you and take credit card payment over the phone. We'll try to call you as soon as we receive your application, but in case that is not possible please let us know when your preferred contact time would be. Or you can call us on 0800 655 644 between 8am and 5.30pm, Monday to Friday.

What is your preferred contact time during working hours?
Do you require a GST receipt?

A GST receipt will be sent to you after your application has been processed.

We will try to process your application on the same day that we receive it. However please allow three working days for your application to be processed. We will let you know via email or phone when the change has taken place and you can purchase your new licence.

Buying a new licence


When buying a new RUC licence you will need to buy an 'overlap' licence that starts from the current hubodometer reading. You must buy enough RUC to exceed the end distance of the existing RUC licence(s). Any unused portion of the licence will be automatically credited against the cost of the new licence. 

The particulars you provide will become part of the Motor Vehicle Register. Collection, dissemination and release of this information is authorised by the Road User Charges Act 2012. Corresponding information held on other parts of the Land Transport Register may be amended. 

Under the Electoral Act 1993, s 263B, the Electoral Enrolment Centre operates an authorised information matching programme with the Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency. The purpose of this programme is to assist in keeping the Electoral Roll up-to-date.

The Privacy Act 2020 provides rights of access to, and correction of, any readily retrievable personal information held about you. Should you wish to exercise these rights please contact the Waka Kotahi, Palmerston North Office, Private Bag 11777, Palmerston North 4442.