Work on stabilising two sections of unstable rock at the Nevis Bluff, about midway between Cromwell and Queenstown on state highway 6, has been successfully completed ahead of schedule.
Daily traffic delays to motorists are expected to end this afternoon Thursday 11 March. Originally the work was scheduled to finish on 19 March.
The NZ Transport Agency (NZTA) says to reduce delays for road users work on the two sites was carried out simultaneously. One area, which is a remnant of the massive September 2000 rock fall that closed the road for two continuous weeks, was removed by drilling and blasting. The other area was stabilised using rock bolts to secure the long term stability of this section of the Bluff.
Project Manager John Jarvis says that everything has gone extremely well and the contractor has worked hard resulting in more rock being stabilised in a shorter time and enabling the work to be completed ahead of schedule. The work valued at around $250,000 started last month.
Mr Jarvis added that during the 1 hour blast road closures road safety information packs were given to road users in a joint initiative involving the Central Otago & Queenstown Lakes Road Safety Partners. The patience of the motoring public while this essential safety work was carried out has been excellentt and is greatly appreciated.
Regular ongoing monitoring of the whole Bluff area will continue with monthly helicopter inspections.