A wet start to the school holidays is also putting a damper on travel around the eastern Bay of Plenty with a number of partial or full road closures due to slips or fallen trees.
Waka Kotahi Journey planner(external link)
Allow extra time and drive with care. Our crews are out working as hard as they can to get roads cleared but the situation can change at any time so expect the unexpected.
Affected areas are as follows:
- SH2 Awakeri – a fallen tree is blocking lanes between Station Road and Downward Road in the White Bush area. Expect delays.
- SH2 Waimana Gorge – a fallen tree is blocking lanes. Expect delays.
- SH2 Waioeka Gorge – trees are down blocking lanes. Highway closed.
- SH2 Waiotahe Beach – a slip has closed the highway between Waiotahi Valley Back Road & Paerata Ridge Road. Local road detour in place. Geotechnical engineers are assessing the risk to road users and contractors, a clear up will begin as soon as its safe.
- SH5 Tumunui – a slip is partially blocking a section of SH5 south of Tumunui and stop/go traffic management is in place. (Photo attached.)
- SH30 Rotoma – a tree is down reducing the highway to one lane. Drive with care.
- SH35 - multiple slips reported after the heavy rain. Highway remains closed in areas.
- Rotorua region - General surface water. Drive with care.
Be aware that the weather is also causing potholes to form around the region. Check your speed and watch following distances.