Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency advises the following works through State Highway 2 (SH2) during the coming weeks.
When driving through the construction site at Rea Road/Tetley Road you will notice a dip in the temporary road surface. This is part of the construction process to accommodate the future road surface layout where the roundabout legs will be built up to match the height of the roundabout entrance/exit.
Once completed, the circular part of the roundabout will consist of structural asphalt, whereas the approach legs will consist of conventional chip seal. Please note the final asphalt layer will be added once kerb and traffic islands are constructed. This roundabout is expected to be completed by the end of 2022.
People driving through the following areas can expect minor delays.
- Athenree Road to Tanners Point Road – Road widening works continue throughout the week. People travelling through can expect minor delays of one to two minutes.
- Hikurangi Road to Tuapiro Road – Lane shifts for retaining wall construction continue. Expect minor delays of one to two minutes.
- Rea Road / Tetley Road intersection – Roundabout construction underway. There is currently no right turn into Tetley Rd and limited right turn options to Rea Rd. Detour routes are available; please follow the signs and directions of the traffic management team. Expect minor delays of up to five minutes.
- Morton Rd Intersection - People can expect to see some activity with future roundabout investigations and service relocation taking place. Expect minor delays of one to two minutes.
- Apata Station Road to Esdaile Road – When driving through you will see lane shifts for service relocation for a future roundabout. There will be minor delays of one to two minutes.
Takitimu North Link Stage One:
There are also a range of construction activities taking place on the Takitimu North Link Stage One between Te Puna and Tauranga:
- Wairoa Road: Stop/Go in place for trucks crossing on this local road, a diversion road is in place with a speed limit of 30km/h. If driving towards Bethlehem from Wairoa Road, we encourage road users (vehicles less than 2.5m high) to use the underpass at Wairoa Bridge, to avoid a right turn onto SH2.
- Minden Road and Cambridge Road: Shoulder closures in place.
- SH2 Takitimu Drive Toll Road: Barriers are being installed between the Kopurererua Stream and the pedestrian overbridge. A reduced speed limit of 80km/h will be in place.
Some of the above works are weather dependent and may be postponed in the case of poor weather.
For up-to-date information on road works, traffic, detours and delays, drivers are encouraged to visit the Waka Kotahi Journey Planner website(external link)
Waka Kotahi thanks you for your patience while we complete this essential work to make our state highways safer and more resilient.