The NZ Transport Agency says State Highway 2 near Matata now has one lane open but people should continue to expect delays.
A large tree fell across both lanes on the Matata Straight near Murphy’s Holiday Camp.
An alternative route is via State Highway 33, State Highway 30 and State Highway 34 but that will add approximately 45 minutes to a journey.
Photos show the tree on SH2 near Matata before debris was cleared and one lane was open:
How to stay up to date:
- The key traffic and travel source which provides up-to-date information on weather and road conditions is www.nzta.govt.nz/traffic(external link)
- Important information is also shared via the Transport Agency’s official Twitter and Facebook accounts listed here https://www.nzta.govt.nz/contact-us/connect-with-us/
- Drivers can also call 0800 4 HIGHWAYS (0800 44 44 49) to speak to the call centre team who can provide them with traffic and travel information either before they’re travelling or when they’re on the road, safely parked off the highway
- MetService road snowfall warnings here(external link)
- MetService severe weather warnings here(external link)