Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency advises multiple worksites are active on State Highway 30/Te Ngae Road, between Sala Street and Iles Road, in Rotorua next week, as part of the Eastern Corridor Stage One project.
Delays are expected at times and motorists are advised to plan for these delays and allow extra time for their journeys.
Work sites for the week starting Sunday 28 February
- State Highway 30, Puarenga Bridge Underpass – The underpass remains closed to the public. Alternative access across Te Ngae Road for pedestrians and cyclists is via the new pedestrian crossing at the Sala Street intersection – detour signage and directions are in place.
The underpass is being improved, with better access and amenity for pedestrians and cyclists, with this work expected to be complete by early April.
- State Highway 30, Puarenga Bridge – Work at the median on the Puarenga Bridge continues as the team prepare and construct the new median, which will be narrower than the previous island. Traffic delays are expected while this work takes place. Slight lane shifts for westbound traffic are in place on the bridge and motorists should follow the new white line-marking.
- State Highway 30, Sala Street to Hamiora Place – Shoulder and/or lane closures will be in place throughout the week as construction of the shared path continues along the northern side of Te Ngae Road. Some areas of pathway are yet to be laid and the surface is loose and uneven – people are advised to follow the footpath detour signs. Lane closures will be outside of peak hours.
Contractors also continue working in the flush median outside the new St John Ambulance Station, constructing a signalised area that will allow ambulances to turn right towards the CBD in an emergency.
- State Highway 30, Vaughan Road – Contractors are re-aligning the slip lane and median island, as well as building the shared path, at the Vaughan Road intersection.
A 30km/h temporary speed limit is in place and the lane width into Vaughan Road is narrowed, with workers on either side of the lane.
- State Highway 30, Tarawera Roundabout – Contractors are working outside the Good Eastern Taphouse on both Te Ngae Road and Tarawera Road, completing stormwater improvements and constructing the new road layers. A 30km/h temporary speed limit remains in place at all times.
- State Highway 30, Tarawera Roundabout – Contractors will be undertaking work on SH30/Te Ngae Road at the Tarawera roundabout on the night of Monday 1 March. Lane closures will be in place for eastbound and westbound traffic.
The work will be completed between 7pm and 5am and will allow for the installation of a stormwater pipe outside the Redwoods Shopping Centre.
- State Highway 30, Neil Hunt Park – Contractors continue working on the retaining wall areas outside Neil Hunt Park.
- State Highway 30, Allen Mills to Iles Road – Eastbound traffic between Allen Mills and Iles Road continues to use the flush median, while contractors complete road and footpath construction along this stretch of road. This work is scheduled to be completed by mid to late March.
Temporary speed limits of 30km/h or 50km/h will be in place at the above work sites while contractors are on site. Outside of work hours the road will operate as normal.
Pedestrians and cyclists will be able to walk or cycle around all worksites. Where required, staff can assist pedestrians past the site safely.
In the event of bad weather or other unforeseen circumstances, work may be postponed.
Waka Kotahi thanks motorists for their patience.
Plan ahead for a safe, enjoyable journey this summer. Keep up to date with: