Traffic volumes on the existing Western Corridor are increasing and this is expected to continue into the future. To improve travel times, efficiency and safety on this section of highway, Russley Road is being upgraded and widened to four lanes.
This project was completed in late 2013.
The benefits of the SH1 (Russley Road) Wairakei Road to Yaldhurst Road four-laning include:
- Traffic on Russley Road flows more freely – reducing travel times for people and freight to and from Christchurch International Airport and around greater Christchurch.
- The north and south bound lanes are separated by a raised median, which improves highway safety.
- These improvements also provide environmental benefits – better management of stormwater, planting of native shrubs in the raised median and relocation of overhead services underground.
- Safety is improved at Avonhead Road because of reducing access to left turns only.
- A left-in access into Dakota Park.
The SH1 Russley Road from Avonhead Road to Yaldhurst Road project is part of the Western Corridor, a roads of national significance project.
This construction project does not included the planned Southern Airport Access south of Avonhead road as this is still in the consenting phase and will be constructed when consents are granted and land purchased (find out more about the Southern Airport Access).
The key features of the four laning of Russley Road (SH1) between Yaldhurst Road and Avonhead Road include:
- a north bound, left turn into the Dakota Park business park
- a temporary left-in and left-out access only to Avonhead Road on both sides of Russley Road – this set up will continue until the full closure of the Avonhead Road intersection when the Russley/Memorial Interchange is completed
- a 2.5m-wide shoulder to improve safety for cyclists
- removal of on-street parking between the Airport Business Park and Yaldhurst Road
- U-turn facilities to allow access to properties and businesses in the short term
- two lanes in each direction separated by a raised median on Russley Road (SH1)
- improved stormwater treatment
- overhead services such as power and telephone lines have been relocated underground
The SH1 Russley Road from Avonhead Road to Yaldhurst Road project is part of the Western Corridor, a roads of national significance project. Find out more about the Western Corridor.