Private importation of a new vehicle

New vehicles are generally imported by the New Zealand based manufacturer or their representative via a process different to private importation. Vehicles are then sold in New Zealand.

An individual can buy a new vehicle overseas and import it to New Zealand privately. When this occurs, the importing process and requirements are the same as when importing a used vehicle (see importing a used vehicle page), however the options for meeting the vehicle standards may differ as outlined below.

Parallel importing is another example of how individuals may privately import new vehicles into New Zealand. Parallel imports are new vehicles that are purchased overseas from a source other than an authorised manufacturer's representative.

Note: “new” for this page refers to both private and parallel importation of new vehicles that meet the following

(a) have not been registered and operated in any other country; and

(b) have not been operated on a road in any other country as a demonstration or courtesy vehicle; and

(c) have not been used for training or testing purposes; and

(d) is not a low volume vehicle that contains components that have been fitted to a vehicle that has been operated in any other country.

A vehicle that does not fulfil the definition criteria is classified as a used vehicle and the below new vehicle considerations are not applicable.  Please note, other government departments may have a slightly different definition for new and used vehicles, which may affect the relevant biosecurity and Customs requirements. We advise you to seek advice from other relevant departments around their new vehicle definition if you’re unclear.

Meeting the vehicle standards when importing a new vehicle:

In most cases, if you're sourcing a new vehicle directly from the manufacturer or their agent overseas, they can provide you with all the information you need to import it. Usually this will be in the form of a statement of compliance(external link), though it may be in the form of a compliance plate. See plate examples from Australia(external link)Europe(external link) and the United States(external link).

You may also need test certificate information that shows it was manufactured to meet the required standards. Entry certifiers(external link) can advise whether you need this.

You may need to provide VIN decode documentation for new vehicles as it may be required for entry certification. Please check our VIN info page(external link) to find out if you need to provide this.

Evidence of compliance with emissions standards

For new light vehicles

The manufacturer's representative can provide you with documentation that proves the vehicle was manufactured to meet an applicable emissions standard. Learn more about the emissions requirement(external link).

For new heavy vehicles

The evidence you supply to show compliance, e.g. a statement of compliance, must include proof that the vehicle was manufactured to meet an applicable emissions standard(external link).

Evidence of compliance with fuel consumption information requirements

The manufacturer's representative can  provide you with fuel consumption information for new vehicles  in the form set out in the Land Transport Rule: Fuel Consumption Information 2008(external link).

Evidence required - parallel imports

As parallel imports are not purchased directly from an authorised manufacturer's representative overseas, a statement of compliance from the manufacturer may not be included when purchasing. For these vehicles to be registered for use on New Zealand roads you need to provide evidence that:

Evidence of compliance with emissions standards

An entry certifier will be able to assess your vehicle's compliance with emissions standards based on their experience of similar used models of your vehicle.

Evidence of compliance with fuel consumption information requirements

You can use the online tool(external link)(external link) to provide the fuel consumption compliance information. You'll then receive a fuel consumption certificate which you take to the entry certifier(external link).