Johns Road between The Groynes and Sawyers Arms Road will be widened to two lanes in each direction with a central median. The design includes a roundabout at Clearwater Avenue and the development of a one-way service lane between Gardiners Road and Wilkinsons Road – this will improve safety by minimise the number of properties with direct access onto the highway.
- Improved alignment of the highway.
- Improved safety at intersections by restricting traffic movements across the highway including:
- left turn out only from Johns Road (SH1) onto Gardiners Road and left turn only onto the slip road from Gardiners Road (southbound)
- left turn in only from Wilkinsons Road onto Johns Road (SH1) and left turn only from the slip road onto Wilkinsons Road (southbound)
- left turn in and out from John Road SH1) onto Greywacke Road (northbound)
- a potential link road between Greywacke Road and Sawyers Arms Road is being considered and discussions are underway.(N.B. right turns will not be possible at all these intersections.)
- New roundabout at Clearwater Avenue.
- Underground power and telephone lines.
- Improved street lighting and signage.
- Improved landscaping along the highway corridor.
- Enhanced stormwater management systems.
Greywacke Road extension
As part of this project we are also planning an extension of Greywacke Road to Sawyers Arms Road running parallel to Johns Road. The extended Greywacke Link Road will allow traffic on Greywacke Road to head south on Johns Road by using the Sawyer Arm Roundabout.
The new section of Greywacke Road will be two lanes (one in each direction) with a 12m carriageway, room for parking and a shared cycleway/footpath. Stormwater will be treated and disposed to ground using a series of grassed swales and soakage basins.