This page relates to the 2021-24 National Land Transport Programme.
Work category 125 provides for the maintenance of public footpaths and facilities associated with public footpaths, such as pedestrian network connections, including stairs, alleyways and off-road connections.
Work category 125 is available to the following activity classes:
- local road maintenance
- state highway maintenance
Local road and state highway maintenance
Examples of qualifying activities
Examples of qualifying activities include, but may not be limited to:
- footpath patching and pothole repairs in paved, sealed and unsealed footpath surfaces
- treatments to address isolated pavement joint irregularities or surface defects in concrete paths
- maintenance of footpaths and pedestrian accessways and facilities including associated structures and bridges, signs or furniture, provided the facilities are consistent with a relevant walking or walking and cycling strategy or plan
- operations, maintenance and power costs of footpath lighting
- vegetation control on footpaths that meets the conditions of funding in work category 121.
Work category 121: Environmental maintenance
You can discuss with us (Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency as investor) whether other potential activities not listed above might also be eligible for inclusion in this work category.
The work category excludes:
- footpaths and facilities used for recreational purposes (eg paths that do not connect to the wider footpath network) – these are not eligible for funding assistance
- footpaths and facilities that are not in public ownership or to which the public does not have full access at all times of the day, eg footpaths in parks that are closed to the public at night
- maintenance of shared pedestrian cycling paths and facilities – these are funded under work category 124
Work category 124: Cycle path maintenance
Funding assistance rate
The usual funding assistance rate (FAR) is:
- 100% of Waka Kotahi state highway costs.
Submitting activities for National Land Transport Programme (NLTP) consideration and funding approval
Approved organisations and Waka Kotahi (for its own activities) submit their footpath maintenance activities for NLTP consideration and funding approval using the maintenance, operations and renewals module in Transport Investment Online.
Transport Investment Online(external link)