This page relates to the 2021-24 National Land Transport Programme.
Work category 222 provides for the renewal of existing:
- road furniture, lighting, signs and markings
- traffic management equipment and facilities.
Work category 222 is available to the following activity classes:
- local road maintenance
- state highway maintenance.
Local road and state highway maintenance
Examples of qualifying activities
Examples of qualifying activities include, but may not be limited to:
- traffic signs, traffic signals and area-wide traffic control systems
- road delineation marker posts
- pavement markings, including bus priority lane and cycleway markings on all non-separated road surfaces and markings for stock crossings
- sight rails
- carriageway lighting, including poles and replacement of lanterns at the end of their economic life with more efficient types
- Belisha beacons and lighting at pedestrian crossings
- advanced traffic management systems
- variable message signs
- local area traffic management schemes, including speed control devices and threshold treatments
- ramp metering equipment
- surveillance devices and traffic monitoring equipment, such as closed-circuit television systems
- emergency telephones on motorways
- weighing facilities owned by a road controlling authority and/or operated as a weight surveillance facility.
You can discuss with us (Waka Kotahi NZ Transport Agency as investor) whether other potential activities not listed above might also be eligible for inclusion in this work category.
Work category 222 excludes:
- the reinstatement of facilities moved or removed during maintenance or construction/implementation work – this is charged to the maintenance or construction/implementation project
- amenity lighting – this is not eligible for funding assistance.
Requirements for funding
To qualify for funding from this work category, all work must comply with the Waka Kotahi Traffic control devices manual.
Traffic control devices manual
Funding assistance rate
The usual funding assistance rate (FAR) is:
- 100% of Waka Kotahi state highway costs.
Submitting activities for National Land Transport Programme (NLTP) consideration and funding approval
Approved organisations and Waka Kotahi (for its own activities) submit their traffic services renewals activities for NLTP consideration and funding approval using the maintenance, operations and renewals module in Transport Investment Online.
Transport Investment Online(external link)
For details of: